I've wanted to blog about 2015 for quite a while now, but was occupied with finals until the 8th. Then I procrastinated until today. :D Well, better late than dead right?
I used to summarize how my year went into a lengthy blog post, but I didn't do one last year simply because last year was a crappy year and I had absolutely nothing to blog about. If I summarized it, it would have been a really lousy post to read and look back at anyway. But that being said, enough about how fucked up 2014 was.
Then came 2015 and it was a year full of many new experiences and me opening up to the world again. I entered 2015 thinking I wouldn't survive it. I thought it was just another year to get by but it's amazing how many things can happen in over a year. I went from sad and angry to :|
Because I'm poker faced that way. :D Okay actually no, it's something more philosophical:
1. No one is ever :) all the time.
2. Being :| means I am neutral and I accept everything that comes my way, whether it makes me :) or :(
I know now that it is all part and parcel of life and if we accept things as they are without any feelings or attachments, you'd be surprised at how much better life gets.
That being said, here are the 15 things that happened in 2015.
1. Participated in Ocean Awareness Outreach 2015 and met a whole bunch of fun and crazy people. There wasn't a single meeting that was dull because everyone was equally crazy! It's always good to be a part of something bigger than yourself, and I realise that I often feel this emptiness at times and I believe that doing work like that helps give me a slight sense of purpose. In 2016, I will be heading Project Ocean Awareness USM as Project Director and I'm honestly pretty nervous about it. Fingers crossed that it turns out successful!
|Ocean Awareness Outreach 2015 family :)|
2. Went to Pulau Tioman for the first time and got my PADI Open Water Diver certification! That's one off the bucketlist, I've always wanted to get my diving license! :D
|Post surface pic with the sun setting behind me!|
|Surface buddies :P|
3. Participated in the iM4U Dive for a Cause Beach and Underwater Cleanup.
This one was so fun because it was ibarat sambil menyelam minum air (except this time I didn't minum any air hah!). You get to dive AND clean up the ocean, how fun right?! We also had Malaysian actress Sazzy Falak on board with us and we were in the same group! :D
Chillin' on Perhentian waters
|Swimmin' with the fishes!|
4. Went to Redang the week right after I went to Perhentian. Hahah. That's three new islands in a year for me! I suppose it has to do with my dad always warning us not to go to the beaches because it's dangerous and also growing up on an island (but Penang is FAAAAAAAAR from all these islands I went to). Despite not going to the beach often, there is something about the ocean that really intrigued me right after I had my first proper dive. It's so wonderful to think and feel like you're in a whole new world completely but it's actually right on Earth, only underwater! And I think this really motivates me to want to play my role in conserving and preserving our planet. :)
|Just lying on the hammock with a good book is tha life!|
5. Got accepted into Minerva and it was like a freaking dream come true then BUT... I didn't go in the end due to financial constraints. Still, I believe that everything happens for a reason and that something bigger and greater is out there waiting for me.
6. Bought my first GoPro Hero 4 Silver! It took me soooooo long to think if I really wanted to get it or not and when I finally did... no regrets. :) Don't belittle this camera for its size though, it takes really good pictures and videos. I'm not much of a photographer, but I love it because it's so convenient to carry around, be it diving or travelling and the amount of accessories available means that you can use it for just about anything!
7. Played under team Contact and managed to bag gold for Penang Floorball League Women's Division. Which was really unexpected lol. Got an All Star award too! It has been a while since I last won an all star award and floorball has been rough the past two years or so, so it felt good to have something to spur me on once more.
8. Finally won the gold medal for Merdeka Cup in Sabah this year. However, I still think the best and most fun Merdeka Cups were during its first two years. Floorball these days just gives me a lot of mixed feelings. Just part and parcel of life again I suppose.
9. Got my Bronze Medallion under Life Saving Society Malaysia.
Bronze Medallion is the first certification level for a competent lifeguard in Malaysia. Here's the list of events for Bronze Med:
1) 300m swim (to be completed within 9 mins)
2) 50m swim, 50m aided tow (with rope) (3 mins for men, 3 mins 15 secs for women)
3) 20m swim, 20m cross chest tow (while wearing formal attire)
4) 50m combine rescue - unconscious victim
- swim 20m, dive head first, push brick for 5m, bring the brick up and together with the victim go underwater and drop the brick, then tow the victim while performing mouth to nose resuscitation
5) 50m swim, 50m chin tow with restraint (the victim will struggle and the lifesaver will have to perform restraints)
6) Rope throw then tow the victim back to the bank (1 min)
7) Releases and Defenses:
i) Arm pull releases
a) single arm pull release
b) double arm pull release
ii) Push up break
iii) Elbow break
i) Stand off position
a) single leg block
b) counter leg block
iii) Duck Away
8) 25m underwater (the part I was most worried about because we had to hold our breath and swim underwater for 25 metres and I haz small lungs :P)
9) Compact Jump (my favourite bit because we always do this during scuba pool sessions and it's the easiest bit! Don't have to do anything, just walk off the platform. Also, because compact jump is the last event, it means we've completed everything else on the list!)
Newly graduated lifesavers!
|#macamyestapibukan I failed this event because my rope couldn't reach my victim LOL so I had to redo it on another day|
10. Participated in my first volleyball tournament under USM! And surprisingly managed to bag the silver medal. Hurhur.
11. Participated in the first varsity floorball tournament. And surprisingly managed to bag the silver medal. Again. Hurhur.
12. Lost Happy to kidney failure. Happy was our family dog and we always think he behaves like a boy. Pretty much our whole family's little boy. Happy was given to us by my sister's lecturer and our lives have never been the same since. I hope he's enjoying himself in heaven or at least, gained a good rebirth. Either way, I know he will be somewhere nice because he has brought so much joy into our lives and has been nothing but an adorable sweetheart. We still speak about him fondly every now and then and know that no matter where he is and how long it has been, he will always live in our memories and be a part of our lives. We miss you and love you always.
|Manjapot. Miss cuddling you.|
13. Sent the Indian off to Edinburgh. Well technically... I didn't even get to send her off because I was in Perhentian! LOL. But thank goodness for Whatsapp and Skype, right? It's a far cry from physical presence but it does make things easier. (though I also realise that I'll probably suck in LDR)
|Skyping the Indian. :P|
14. Made new friends and found people who really sincerely love me and care for me (even though I always bully them :P). Like this girl. :)
|Final year students sleep everywhere, be it on the floor or while standing. :P|
15. Celebrated Christmas and New Year's Eve studying for finals. Yay!
|(actually this picture was taken in 2016 after my last paper hehehe)|
ps: I apologise if this post has been difficult to read (even more so if you're OCD) but blogspot is being a bitch and I don't know how to rectify it.